moving wxd to github

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Thu Nov 24 04:04:34 PST 2011

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 12:01:46 +0100
Anders F Björklund <afb at algonet.se> wrote:

> Maybe one would want to regenerate the D API for wxWidgets 3.0,
> but should work fine without - similar to "WXWIN_COMPATIBILITY_*"

I'm reading SWIG docs and there is says: "...SWIG is quite capable in
supporting most of C++. Some of the major features include:

* Full C99 preprocessing.
* All ANSI C and C++ datatypes.
* Functions, variables, and constants.
* Classes.
* Single and multiple inheritance.
* Overloaded functions and methods.
* Overloaded operators.
* C++ templates (including member templates, specialization, and partial specialization).
* Namespaces.
* Variable length arguments.
* C++ smart pointers.

Currently, the only major C++ feature not supported is nested classes--a
limitation that should be removed in a future release, but has some
workarounds for the moment.

It is important to stress that SWIG is not a simplistic C++ lexing tool
like several apparently similar wrapper generation tools. SWIG not only
parses C++, it implements the full C++ type system and it is able to
understand C++ semantics. SWIG generates its wrappers with full
knowledge of this information. As a result, you will find SWIG to be
just as capable of dealing with nasty corner cases as it is in wrapping
simple C++ code. In fact, SWIG is able handle C++ code that stresses the
very limits of many C++ compilers."

What do you think about providing wxWidgets 3.0 API using SWIG?

I've asked for opinion Robin who is doing wxpython and has plenty of
experience with both wx & SWIG...waiting for his reply.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
As a strong wind sweeps away a boat on the water,
even one of the roaming senses on which the mind