moving wxd to github

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Nov 24 04:15:49 PST 2011

Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> I'm guessing what needs to be done is to update the wxc wrapper, and
> recreate the D wrapper based on the C# port.

There were two main tracks to generating the wrappers, one was
using a patched SWIG and the other was a custom Perl script...

http://wxnet.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/wxnet/wx.NET/Src/SWIG/
http://wxnet.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/wxnet/wx.NET/Src/wx-c-gen/

But the requirements are a bit different between C# and D, so
the generated C libraries are _not_ identical between the two
(even if they then use the same wx C++ libraries to link with)
There's also some language differences for the native libs API.

Now that DMD has broken the ABI on x86_64, the string handling
needs to be redone (to use wxStringCharType* and size_t pairs?)
The Unicode handling is also done differently in wxWidgets 3.0:
http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/overview_string.html (wxString)

> I've heard something about wx3.0 being in plans, if it's a significant
> change from the 2.x series then maybe it would be a good idea to wait
> for that release before attempting to update the wrappers.

One might also drop the D and Tango support, and go D2 only ?

--anders