SQL/database server capabilities NO ODBC please

bls bizprac at orange.fr
Sat Nov 26 15:31:33 PST 2011

Hi Steve
First of all : I am sorry about my harsh words within my last reply.
--- I am afraid that this feedback is also not very gentle.

Picking up ODBC in order to figure out how an generic database Interface
may look like is a very bad idea.

Creating an ODBC Interface at all is pretty useless. NOBODY is using
ODBC at all.

Creating std.database based on sockets is useless.
Let's take MySQL for instance.  In case that you create a commercial
application based on MySQL you have to pay fees to ORACLE ( approx. 1000
Euro, per Server) and nobody cares about your BOOST licensed Phobos raw
socket stuff..

Despite that : std.database becomes unmaintainable. I've had a look at
your sources, Tough stuff.  Same is valid Piotr's PostgreSQL
implementation.

NO!.
I am all against it. I think that implementing std.database requires
understanding of Martin Fowler's  Enterprise patterns, As said before :
Function follows Form  :)

Last, and most probably useless comment, Have a look at
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/

Cheers,
Bjoern