SQL/database server capabilities NO ODBC please

dolive dolive89 at sina.com
Sat Nov 26 17:50:42 PST 2011

bls Wrote:

> Hi Steve
> First of all : I am sorry about my harsh words within my last reply.
> --- I am afraid that this feedback is also not very gentle.
>
> Picking up ODBC in order to figure out how an generic database Interface
> may look like is a very bad idea.
>
> Creating an ODBC Interface at all is pretty useless. NOBODY is using
> ODBC at all.
>
> Creating std.database based on sockets is useless.
> Let's take MySQL for instance.  In case that you create a commercial
> application based on MySQL you have to pay fees to ORACLE ( approx. 1000
> Euro, per Server) and nobody cares about your BOOST licensed Phobos raw
> socket stuff..
>
> Despite that : std.database becomes unmaintainable. I've had a look at
> your sources, Tough stuff.  Same is valid Piotr's PostgreSQL
> implementation.
>
> NO!.
> I am all against it. I think that implementing std.database requires
> understanding of Martin Fowler's  Enterprise patterns, As said before :
> Function follows Form  :)
>
> Last, and most probably useless comment, Have a look at
> http://www.sqlalchemy.org/
>
> Cheers,
> Bjoern

I'm sorry , this NABS may be unable to do it.

Steve, If you don't understand , please only copy£¨translate£© the success of an existing library£¬such as: jdbc, ado.net, activerecord£¨ruby£©, Python SQL Toolkit, etc. otherwise, Please clear-cut  don't do it, the std.database will be turn into odbc is meaningless.