A real Forum for D

Jude Young 10equals2 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 10:04:14 PST 2011

On Sun 27 Nov 2011 11:41:01 AM CST, alex wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I just wondered why there still is this uncomfortable and obviously outdated newsgroup software in use.
>
> Perhaps it'd be more contemporary to have a 'real' browser-based forum to which everyone can register and post D-related questions&answers.
>
> So, my recommendation would be to establish a forum based on phpBB or a similar framework software (btw, it's free and open source, so don't worry about possible
> costs!) at forum.d-programming-language.org
>

> To give D a further community 'push', I and a friend of mine really would like to set up all required things if wanted.
>
> The reason I'm asking the newsgroup directly is to have the forum that can be reachedunder the official D internet URL, so that it won't be a 'third-party' driven one
> or something like that.
>

> Even if this idea should be a bit too 'large', please do fix the http interface for the D main newsgroup thread - it's not working for me and only gives back a
> connection timeout.

I would definitely be interested in a forum.

But only if it has the following:
a separate off topic area
definite rules about what is and what is not allowed.
permabans
if it was associated with d-p-l, keep with the colors and general theme
(just a preference)
support threaded and flat views.
and I'd prefer a way to turn off emoticons.

just ideas:
ideone has support for D(2.042  not too far behind), it'd be great if
there was some kind of integration with that (post a code snippet, post
the output, if that is possible then it shouldn't be too hard to hide
everything outside of main())
http://ideone.com/api    yeah i know, but it you have to admit that it
would be awesome.