A real Forum for D

Jude 10equals2 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 23:11:35 PST 2011

On 11/28/2011 12:12 AM, Walter Bright wrote:

> Generally, they suck. They just don't get what a threaded view is.
> Newsreaders solved this problem decades ago. A thread is not a
> topic. It's a view showing who replied to which message. Click to
> expand at each branching point, click to contract, click to see a
> particular message. At each point, you can see which messages
> you've read, and which you haven't.
>
> I've never, ever seen forum software that can do that. If there is
> one, point me to an example.
>
> Every newsreader does this.
That's nice. You're just forgetting the fact that oh, you know, there
are a lot of people who just don't care about "proper" threading.

>> 2. I thought that that was pretty standard for forums?
>> Highlighting for threads you've seen and threads you haven't...
>> not for individual messages, but the last number (25 or so)
>> messages you've seen.
>
> Again, the forum software writers just don't get it. It has to be
> per message. Why? So in a larger thread, you can instantly see what
> is read and what isn't. This is NOT equivalent to a chronological
> sort. I do not read threads linearly.
>
>> 3. click the nice little subscribe to thread button and it tells
>> you if anyone else submits something.
>
> Sorry, but that's not it. I want to see if someone replied to a
> *particular* message.
>
>> These are all things that forums have had for a while...
>
> I've used many forum softwares. They all just DON'T GET IT.
I for one am glad they "DON'T GET IT."  I can't stand threaded view.
Tried it, too much work for so little gain.

What I don't get is why you are soo vocal about such a tiny, little thing.
Check the thread with your threaded views. No one has suggested that
we need to REPLACE the current newsgroup.

No one has suggested anything more than "hey, maybe we should try to
cater to a larger audience, instead of just those who agree that a NG
is the best way to communicate ever."

I've noticed that you haven't made an appearance on irc in a while.
It doesn't have threaded views either, but I don't think that you
would doubt it's usefulness.

People like it, and I for one really appreciate it's existence.
It has helped me out quite a bit, and I definitely would not have
learned as much as I know(very little btw) about d if it didn't exist.

- From my point of view, we have a few people who think that it would be
nice to have another method of communication, and people who would
like to restrict other peoples choice based on nothing more than an
antiquated black and white view of the world.

I have yet to see a 'valid' reason against having a forum.

If you don't want to have an official forum, that is fine.
If you refuse to allow it on d-p-l, that's fine too.
If you won't use it, that's fine.
If you don't think that it would gain enough attraction to be
worthwhile, great. Say so.
If you think that it would split the community too much, speak your mind.

Those are all valid reasons to disagree.

"Forums are lame and just "DON'T GET IT" and I don't like them and
EVERYONE must agree that my method is superior and use my preferred
method" is NOT a valid reason.

Most people don't care about your holy wars.
I'm done with this topic, it just makes me lose faith in humanity.

I must apologize, the rant is over.
Walter.respect--;

Jude out.

PS - forget the giant wall of text.  Brad says it much nicer.