wxC & wxD (was Re: moving wxd to github)

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Sun Nov 27 23:54:21 PST 2011

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 02:11:24 +0100
Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:

> It has a dependency on the Display class, and it seems wxd is compiled
> with this class but you can't use it because it depends on
> wxc\display.cpp, which has a whole section idfef'd out (via #if
> wxUSE_DISPLAY). So naturally there's linker errors.

I haven't build wxD yet, but just curious...you say that the sample
depends on wxc\display.cpp, but I thought that wxc stuff belonged to
wx.NET port, while the wxD site says: "Newer wxD version (0.10) has been
updated to wxWidgets 2.6.4 and linkable with wxWidgets 2.8.4 as well,
and is now based directly on the original wx classes since the
previously used wx.NET was not being maintained anymore."

Please advise?

Edit: Now I see that wxC is/was project meant to provide basis for
wxEiffel (& wxHaskell) bindings...but seeing it's not really maintained
it seems to be dead end. My proposition is research about the
possibility to do wxD straight from the SWIG and its D support since
present approaches does not, I'm afraid, promise bright future.

Morever, I believe there are not so many wxD-2.8.x applications written
and it's reasonable to start working on 2.9/3.0 not caring much about
older releases.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
A person who is not disturbed by the incessant flow of
desires — that enter like rivers into the ocean, which is