Discussion on D support in gdb

Martin Nowak dawg at dawgfoto.de
Mon Nov 28 04:12:22 PST 2011

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 04:13:18 +0100, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 11/22/2011 7:19 AM, Martin Nowak wrote:
>> - Can we slowly start to acquire DWARF-3/4?
>
> Dwarf 2 is good enough, so why do 3/4?
>
>> - Why were extensions chosen over say representing an array as two
>> field struct?
>
> Because it is presumably harder to get a debugger to recognize a magic
> struct than explicitly give it a type.

Dwarf-4 supports arbitrary expressions for array base addresses and the
upper bound,
one could directly translate D arrays. GDB doesn't support it at the
moment,
but it basically rules out requesting an extension to the DWARF standard.

I think currently the best decision is to use the existing D support in
GDB.

C++0x will likely lead to extended support in GDB, while llvm-db should
improve the OSX debugger support.
With better support for the new formats we should be able to express
specific D
constructs in DWARF.