SQL/database server capabilities NO ODBC please

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 28 05:01:27 PST 2011

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 18:31:33 -0500, bls <bizprac at orange.fr> wrote:

> Creating std.database based on sockets is useless.
> Let's take MySQL for instance.  In case that you create a commercial
> application based on MySQL you have to pay fees to ORACLE ( approx. 1000
> Euro, per Server) and nobody cares about your BOOST licensed Phobos raw
> socket stuff..

You do not have to pay licensing fees to oracle to use MySQL -- it's GPL.

You do not have to pay licensing fees to oracle to modify MySQL -- it's
GPL.

You have to pay licensing fees to oracle to modify MySQL *and* keep the
modifications private when selling the modified server code.

Note that an application that uses MySQL as a data storage but does not
modify the MySQL source is not required to be GPL.  However, I think if
you use the MySQL client code, it does need to be GPL.  Writing a new
client that uses the correct protocol is not required to be GPL.  So the
licensing of the client code *is* the thing most commercial users will
care about.

-Steve