wxC & wxD

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Mon Nov 28 05:13:54 PST 2011

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:20:27 +0100
Anders F Björklund <afb at algonet.se> wrote:

> You'll need to read the entire thing.
> http://wxd.sourceforge.net/#libraries

Ahh, thank you. Somehow I did miss it. :-(

> So wxD (the project) consists of two sub-libraries: wxc and wxd.
> Whether it's libwxc.a or wxc.lib depends on the platform/compiler.

OK.

> If you were to use SWIG, you would still have the same two libraries ?
> Just that files would be: example.d + example_im.d, example_wrap.cxx
> (as generated by SWIG from your example.i source file and the headers)
> whereas they are currently called: wx/Example.d and wxc/example.cpp

OK; but do you consider it would be better not to depend on wx.NET?

> The classes already grow an annoying filename addition to their name
> anyway, unless you add all the classes to the main wx.d file directly.
> So it probably doesn't matter if wxApp is called "deity.wx_.app.App",
> as long as you have a top module to import and some reasonable
> aliases.

Right. My main concern is just whether it is more feasible to provide
wxD directly using SWIG'S D capability.

> When you do the SWIG interface files, you should not use the includes
> directly since those have a *lot* of platform/implementation details:

I believe that those things should be taken care of by e.g. cmake.

> Instead it's better to use the Doxygen interfaces as the basis for .i
> Those should focus more on the actual wx API you want to export to D:

Yes. WxPython will also use info from Doxygen.

So, is wxD going to continue like now, or do you envision some change
how to proceed for wx-2.9/3.=?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
A person who is not disturbed by the incessant flow of
desires — that enter like rivers into the ocean, which is