A real Forum for D

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Mon Nov 28 05:33:23 PST 2011

On 2011-11-28 11:55, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 11/27/2011 11:55 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> Then that's just bad design. If the forum is designed correctly there
>> won't be
>> any problem.
>

> Here's a typical example:
>
> http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=72850.0
>
> Check out all of the vertical space consumed by a 2 word message. No
> threading view that I can find. There's a "Mark Unread" button, but that
> applies to the entire thread, not individual messages.
>
> Here's another:
>
> http://www.gamedev.net/topic/615737-concave-polygon-to-convex-polygons/page__pid__4887554#entry4887554
>

> Same problems.
>
> http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/reader_feedback/public/display.php?source_id=2016875109&source_name=mbase
>

> Note the teeny tiny amount of the screen that is for message text.
>
> http://science.slashdot.org/story/11/11/28/0050228/muslim-medical-students-boycott-darwin-lectures
>

> At least it's got a real threaded view. But no way to tell what you've
> read, so if you come back to an active topic after an hour or two, it's
> a real pain trying to figure out what you've read and what you haven't.
> I rarely bother to load a topic more than once because of this. Same
> goes for reddit.

I know that most of the forums look like this. But what says that they
have to? I'm just trying to say that a forum doesn't have to look like
these examples.

You also complained how the forum sites doesn't work on a small screen.
Have a look at this site:

http://upperdog.se/

I know this site is not a forum but the content flows really nice when
you resize the browser window to a smaller size and it works great on
mobile devices. I don't see any reason why these techniques can't be
implemented on a forum.

--
/Jacob Carlborg