wxC & wxD

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Tue Nov 29 00:09:54 PST 2011

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:01:30 +0100
Anders F Björklund <afb at algonet.se> wrote:

> True that. I suppose that part of the problem is that C++ doesn't link
> with anything else, unless you bother to do an extern "C" interface ?

Whatever...

> > Or too light perhaps. ;)
>
> That part I'm not so sure about, both toolkits have tons of widgets.
> At least when compared to something homegrown and language-specific ?

Tk is, well, ugly. Otoh, FOX is C++ with, iirc, Windows-like non-native
look, so what is its advantage over e.g. GTK+?

> Right. I guess some of that sweetness faded with moving to D1/Tango
> and then to D2/Phobos. Or when the GDC project needed more
> maintenance.

Fortunately, I don't have experience with D1 --> D2 issue.

> Something more is needed, but what it would be and what it will look
> like I don't know. Probably something more close to the new language.

Some more organization and collective effort. DMD/Phobos looks OK now.

> Probably something more close to the new language.

I bet it's too early for that. D community cannot even properly
maintaint bindings, what to speak of native GUI lib.

However, having, at least, one bindings with higher-level D-ish API
would be very welcome.

> Or maybe it just doesn't have the same shine that it did, 5 years ago.

What?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
A person who has given up all desires for sense gratification,
who lives free from desires, who has given up all sense of