A real Forum for D

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Tue Nov 29 03:00:45 PST 2011

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:45:23 +0200, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 11/29/2011 1:16 AM, Unknown W. Brackets wrote:
>> Well, maybe, but I know that the developer who worked on the WAP and
>> I-mode
>> interfaces for the web forum software I developed was *extremely*
>> concerned
>> about the fact that he paid by like the kilobyte.
>>
>> He also used it (after developing it) quite a bit, and my understanding
>> was that
>> it was fairly lightweight.
>>
>> It didn't have avatars (which I think are cruft; I don't use them on
>> forums),
>> signatures (also cruft, in emails and newsgroups too.) I think it (but
>> I'm not
>> sure, I didn't have a phone at the time) automatically stripped
>> second-level
>> quotes too, which NNTP probably wouldn't do.
>>
>> Is NNTP even gzipped? I expect it isn't (and can't find any
>> contradiction in a
>> quick peek at the RFCs), which would mean it's definitely not
>> impossible that
>> HTML could win. But, I haven't really read those RFCs, so I could be
>> wrong.
>
> I don't know if NNTP is compressed or not. But consider that NNTP was
> developed in the days of 110 baud data transmission (that's 11
> characters per second).

NNTP isn't compressed. It also rarely uses the 8th bit.

NNTP supports encryption via TLS (and thus possibly compression), but this
is a rather recent development.

Most protocols of that time were aimed at implementation simplicity
(text-based, human-readable error messages etc.).

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net