wxC & wxD

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Nov 29 08:04:16 PST 2011

On 2011-11-29 16:50, Gour wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:28:56 +0100
> Jacob Carlborg<doob at me.com>  wrote:
>
>> But since DWT is a port of SWT (completely written in D) I think it's
>> fair to compare SWT/DWT to gtk, qt and wxwidgets.
>
> I tend to agreei, but wonder how much of the binding process can be
> automated or it could be done by hand only?

There's a project at dsource.org called Tioport, that tried to automated
the process of port SWT to D. But the author gave up that project and
started to manually port SWT instead. It turned out that you would need
to port a large part of the Java standard library.

There's also a C++ port of SWT available. It uses NewJ which implements
the core Java API in C++.

http://www.pure-native.com/swtcpp/index.html

If you have basically the whole Java standard library (or the core APIs)
ported to D it would be a lot easier to automate the port.

>> As far as I know DWT is the only toolkit that does not require any
>> external dependencies (except the functions provided by the OS).
>
> That's strong point...Maybe I should, at least, try to compile it and
> check how it looks...

I recommend you give it a try.

--
/Jacob Carlborg