wxC & wxD

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Tue Nov 29 09:06:31 PST 2011

Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> All the Mac OS X images on this site look horrible:
> http://www.wxwidgets.org/about/screensh.htm
>
> But that might be a problem with the applications and not the toolkit.
> And the images are so horrible outdated. What version of Mac OS X is
> that, 10.3?

Okay, so "horrible" was more about outdated than broken or anything.

Most of the wxD screenshots are from Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" (2006).

> BTW, how is the support for Mac OS X specific "widgets" that are usually
> not available on other platforms, like:
>
> * Dialog sheets
> * Unified toolbar
> * Adding menu items to the dock icon
> * Adding menu items to the application menu (or what it's called)

It's in the nature of cross-platform toolkits to poorly support such.

The sheets and toolbars should work in wxOSX/Cocoa (but not in wxMac)

> I tried to run the demo, it requires Rosetta, that was a couple of
> versions ago of Mac OS X.

All but the latest should run it OK, but I guess you need to compile.

It looks like: http://www.algonet.se/~afb/wx/WidgetsDemo-MacOSX.png

# 10.4 has wxWidgets 2.5.3
# 10.5 has wxWidgets 2.8.4
# 10.6 has wxWidgets 2.8.8