SQL/database server capabilities NO ODBC please

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Nov 29 11:25:55 PST 2011

On 2011-11-29 17:21, Steve Teale wrote:
>>> All that said, I think we must still cover ODBC. MS ODBC will be the
>>> official standard interface to SQL Server, and they are doing Linux
>>> versions - the 64 bit one is already available.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>
>> Of course we can still cover ODBC, I just don't think ODBC should be the
>> only, or primary, interface to SQL Server.
>
> But in that case we should do a D TDS version to escape from any
> licensing/linking limitations. That won't happen tomorrow ;=)

As I understand it, FreeTDS provides three client libraries: db-lib,
ct-lib and odbc. These libraries are available as dynamic libraries and
then it won't be any licensing issues.

TinyTDS uses db-lib and it HAS to use dynamic library since it's a Ruby
library. I took a quick look at the source code for TinyTDS, it's quite
a small library.

http://www.freetds.org/which_api.html

--
/Jacob Carlborg