A real Forum for D

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Nov 29 12:48:33 PST 2011

On Tuesday, November 29, 2011 21:30:23 Gour wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 13:52:24 -0500
>
> "Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:
> > and I don't know how to get that with a newsgroup client even if it
> > works at both work and home (and wherever else you'd need to sync).
>
> ssh and some rsync magic between two machines?
>
> I took advantage of this
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusSync
>
> when using Emacs/Gnus.

So copy the config files for your newsgroup client between machines? Not even
vaguely acceptable IMHO. It needs to be automatic. With IMAP it _is_
automatic. And ssh is problematic with where I work anyway. If I mess around,
I can get it to work to ssh to home, but I can't ssh into work, so all it
would take is forgetting to ssh in and rsync before heading home for the day,
and when I get home, I've lost all of the information as to what I read
earlier in the day. That just doesn't fly.

If you want to do that, that's fine, but I find that IMAP with a mail client
works really well and with no effort on my part. I have no interest in any
solution which would involve manually syncing anything.

- Jonathan M Davis