A real Forum for D

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 13:54:40 PST 2011

I don't use a mail client. I use a mail server :)

Well, actually, I use both, and it's made email much more useful
than it ever was before.

My public email address forwards to a private one, which is
delivered directly to my home computer.

As soon as it arrives, I get a beep out of the pc speaker, and can
head into the mail client (I use mutt inside gnu screen) to read them
in real time, and I can of course reply immediately too.

If I want to access my mail from a separate computer? I just ssh
into the house, and screen -d -r it.

The only problem remotely is if people email me messages.
They are extremely slow on remote X. I usually just save them to
a web directory and view them in a browser.

I read this newsgroup through the mail interface too, so same thing
with it, except for whatever reason, the replies only work half the time!

Anyway, it's quite efficient. I go through hundreds of emails a day, and
never feel particularly burdened by it.

It's also faster and more reliably to reach me by email than it is
by telephone or instant message!