Java > Scala

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+d at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 22:41:58 PST 2011

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 23:22:16 -0500, Jason House wrote:

> I looked at the issues much differently. I read it hours ago, but here
> are what I remember as big issues:
> * immature / incomplete libraries

To me it wasn't the question of "what do we use" but "how do we use" that
was giving them challenges. The quote that stands out to me is,

"Not being able to rely on a strong community presence meant we had to
fend for ourselves in figuring out what "good" Scala was."

Which then leads into your "hard to teach" point.

> * immature toolchain

They did complain about the "official" toolchain, but found something
that work, "using Maven really highlighted the second-class status
assigned to it in the Scala ecosystem."

> * poor performance with common patterns

This is where my mention of being built on the JVM/implementation comes
to play, along with the comments about needing think in Java Lang, Java
Byte, and Scala.

D does have performance problems due to implementation.

> * not widely adopted / hard to teach

This did come up but I attributed it to the community. When you have a
best practice of "ignore the community entirely" I feel that signifies a
huge issue and doesn't lend well to self teaching.

I think D has a lower entry barrier and a community to guide a more
idiomatic D. There is much to learn about writing D, but at least there
or some lines already in the sand.