A real Forum for D

Abrahm abe2007 at nospam.net
Tue Nov 29 22:51:57 PST 2011

"Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
news:jatu1c$i6q$1 at digitalmars.com...
> "alex" <a_bothe at gmx.net> wrote in message
> news:jatsnd$f71$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I just wondered why there still is this uncomfortable and obviously
>> outdated newsgroup software in use.
>>

> old != outdated
>
> NGs are better.
>
> Seriously, what's with people's "old == outdated" bullshit these days?
> What is this, the goddamn fashion industry? Certainly feels like it
> half the time.

I think most of the online content in most groups, be it web-based or
whatever, comes from "people" who are still becoming. Meaning "kids"
(under 30). It sure would be nice to filter content based upon those
things that are supposedly politically uncorrect to filter on: age and
brains, namely.

>> Perhaps it'd be more contemporary to have a 'real' browser-based forum
>> to which everyone can register and post D-related questions&answers.
>>
>> So, my recommendation would be to establish a forum based on phpBB or
>> a similar framework software (btw, it's free and open source, so don't
>> worry about possible
>> costs!) at forum.d-programming-language.org
>>

> phpBB is crap. Actually, anything PHP is crap.

Thanks for mentioning that. I've been wondering what all the enamourment
with PHP was about. Now I know it is not absolute enamourment. Qualify
your opinion if you care too. I'm all ears.

> People are working on a better web interface for the NG. But bear in
> mind, *any* web interface is going to be inherently inferior to a real
> NG client simply due to *being* a web interface.

How anyone does not "get" that, amazes me. I feel literally exhausted
after a day of doing research on the web. Dropping into a NG is like
relaxing on the couch, in comparison. NG's are very efficient to use,
very targeted and without all kinds of bullshit flashing in your face.
Just imagine how much time once spends scrolling the window on a web
forum. But mainly, wow, all that extraneous, useless non-content in your
face all the time. And "controls" that aren't, seesh, the list of
frustrating elements is virtually endless.

Plain text rules.

Abe