A real Forum for D

Abrahm abe2007 at nospam.net
Wed Nov 30 00:35:50 PST 2011

"Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:javogj$1mc1$2 at digitalmars.com...
> On 11/27/2011 11:36 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> Imagine being used to
>> a user interface idiom which you perceive as vastly more productive,
>> and then
>> have most of the world use a dumbed-down alternative due to the common
>> denominator / established conventions (which, btw, I think is the
>> cause here -
>> apathy rather than ignorance).
>
> To be fair, I also don't care for all the eye candy that usually comes
> with web forum software. The text of the messages often seems like a
> mere afterthought that is grudgingly given a small corner of the screen
> :-)

Now you're being way to polite with "eye candy". It extraneous,
non-substantive, annoying, frustrating, concentration-hampering,
exhausting... ok, everyone "gets" it.

I think most all web forums exist to profit their owners. The "content"
(of very low quality in most cases) comes from "stealing" a tiny little
bit from each "contributor". Just read the TOS that reads like "You grant
FU Web Forum the perpetual, non-exclusive...  right to your
Contributions...". Web forums exist on one premise: right
transfer/permission. Do they send you a check every week if you are the
star performer or the one bringing the substantive content there that in
turn brings in the crowds and attracts sales of banner ads? Nada. Are
they sitting pretty "behind" that web forum in some cushy director of a
dot org position? Yada.

Virtually everything in the whole world is like that. Most people never
grow up though (ignorance is bliss), so schemes like that are the soup of
the day rather than being a rare occurence relative to truly progressive
(for humanity) things. Everyone is on the make or on the take. Everyone
wants a free ride and a winning lotto ticket. Everyone is ultra sensitive
about everything.

Good thing that there are still a few NGs around, with some intelligent
discussions going on with people who actually have some substance, to
keep one from going totally insane in a crazy, crazy world.