A real Forum for D

Abrahm abe2007 at nospam.net
Wed Nov 30 01:37:40 PST 2011

"Gour" <gour at atmarama.net> wrote in message
news:20111129095421.2575465d at atmarama.noip.me...

> On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 01:11:35 -0600
> Jude <10equals2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If you think that it would split the community too much, speak your
>> mind.
>
> This is my only concern 'against' forums.
>
> Otherwise, I'll continue using NGs and from my experience with Forums
> (there are projects not offering even mailing lists), my experience was
> always: it sucks and it requires much more time to read 'em, understand
> what's new/old etc.

I usually don't get beyond the TOS. It's like that job I had once, where
I asked the Managing Partner of the company what I would own (i.e., from
my development of the company) and he quickly replied, "nothing". He
pretty much put me in "work on the assembly line worker" mode with that
retort. Read: I won't be improving this mess of an operation you have on
your hands, because I just run the machine, not build it or improve it.
That's a simple concept. Another simple concept is "you try to get
something for nothing from me, and you're likely to 'buy yourself some'".
You get what you pay for. You wanna play games, we'll play games.

(I wasn't "talking" to you, Gour, in the above paragraph. I was just
"scening". It's a true story though).

> Newsgroups are quite old and as someone said it does not mean they're
> bad. Just the opposite, they were invented for 'reading news'.

Speaking of "news", how about that Eniac! Amazing machine. ;)

> I can imagine having forum for the projects having technically
> non-savvy
> users wanting to get help about some end-user project,

digitalmars.d.learn?

> At the end, the argument from the beginning remains...but, as long as
> the D giants stay here, I do not mind. ;)

And, AFAICT, D is not ready to be unleashed upon the masses. It's still a
wild animal needing taming.