Java > Scala

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Wed Nov 30 10:12:37 PST 2011

On 11/30/2011 03:17 AM, Walter Bright wrote:

> It has to run on the JVM, which is a large and heavy rock.

You should check the beams in your eyes before talking about the motes
in others. Did you see this recent post?

"I don't think porting any game to D is a good idea right now. I've did
some major game developement on D. Half my code uses manual memory
management and still the D garbage collector is a major performance
issue. Unless you want to do all of the memory management yourself,
which pretty much results in not using phobos and most of the cool
features in D I wouldn't recommend porting a bigger game to D."

The JVM garbage collector is miles ahead of D's. I think it's pitiful
that a language that aims to be a C++ replacement has been an utter
failure in the gaming area, the one area where C++ has reigned supreme.