Java > Scala

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Wed Nov 30 12:11:53 PST 2011

On 11/30/2011 01:38 PM, Walter Bright wrote:

> Yes, it is. What I meant by the "large and heavy rock" is the difficulty
> of expressing any sort of semantics that are not Java semantics in the
> JVM bytecode.

Fair enough.

> In C++, one does all the memory management manually.

But in C++ libraries are designed with this in mind. You didn't address
his point: "Unless you want to do all of the memory management yourself,
which pretty much results in not using phobos and most of the cool
features in D."

And isn't the point of D to relieve you of the burden of doing stuff
like memory management? You should read Tim Sweeney's (Gears of War
developer) "The Next Mainstream Programming Language", where the slide
for Gameplay Simulation says, "Usually garbage-collected." I assume by
this he means that for C++ the developers end up writing their own
garbage collector inside the program.

http://www.st.cs.uni-saarland.de/edu/seminare/2005/advanced-fp/docs/sweeny.pdf

If D could demonstrably solve the problems outlined in these slides,
you'd have a whole industry at your fingertips.