Java > Scala

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Nov 30 12:35:14 PST 2011

On 11/30/2011 12:11 PM, Jeff Nowakowski wrote:
> But in C++ libraries are designed with this in mind. You didn't address his
> point: "Unless you want to do all of the memory management yourself, which
> pretty much results in not using phobos and most of the cool features in D."

As in C++, you do have to take considerable care with the memory management.

> And isn't the point of D to relieve you of the burden of doing stuff like memory
> management?

When you're managing a lot of memory, and performance is critical, nobody has
invented a magic bullet for that where you can "fire and forget" memory consumption.

> You should read Tim Sweeney's (Gears of War developer) "The Next
> Mainstream Programming Language", where the slide for Gameplay Simulation says,
> "Usually garbage-collected." I assume by this he means that for C++ the
> developers end up writing their own garbage collector inside the program.
>
> http://www.st.cs.uni-saarland.de/edu/seminare/2005/advanced-fp/docs/sweeny.pdf
>
> If D could demonstrably solve the problems outlined in these slides, you'd have
> a whole industry at your fingertips.

Yes, I've read that.

That all said, Andrei and I have been investigating using reference counting for
the collection classes.