Java > Scala

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Nov 30 12:52:49 PST 2011

Well doing lots of transactions per second while aggregating data
from network elements scattered across mobile network stations
seems quite a lot of work to me.

I worked in several projects from quite a few big mobile companies and I
can say that most code that runs on the network side doing analysis of
your mobile activities is either JVM or .Net based.

Since 2004 the middleware used by mobile operators has been being
migrated from C and C++ codebases mostly to Java and C#. Usually only
devices with hardware restrictions are left untouched.

Most of the operators software is now Web, Eclipse/Netbeans or Windows
Forms/WPF based.

Polyglot programming is preferred to one single language (hammer), and
as such, most project managers don't see as a downside that you need to
mix languages.

--
Paulo