Proposal on improvement to deprecated

Paul D Anderson paul.d.removethis.anderson at comcast.andthis.net
Sun Oct 2 13:55:03 PDT 2011

Michel Fortin Wrote:

> In all this, my opinion is that 'deprecated' should be changed to emit
> informational messages (not errors) by default. Then you have this:
>
> 1. scheduled for deprecation: documentation only
> 2. deprecated: informational message
> 3. unavailable: compilation error
>
> The scheduled for deprecation step would be mostly for things we know
> will be deprecated but that have no suitable replacement at the moment.
>
> --
> Michel Fortin
> michel.fortin at michelf.com
> http://michelf.com/

I like the idea of a deprecation message and the three-level progression.

I'm not certain 'unavailable' is the best term but I like this idea better than the hard and soft distinction. 3 levels: documentation, deprecated, and, um, unavailable.

A quick look at MS Word thesaurus offers these alternatives:

denounced, condemned, censured, denigrated,... hmmm... maybe 'unavailabe' is not so bad.

Extinct? Destroyed? Dead? Vanished? Or, that old standby 'depreciated'?

Paul