Proposal on improvement to deprecated

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Oct 3 00:07:02 PDT 2011

On Monday, October 03, 2011 08:54:24 Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> I was thinking that the levels match to different types of compiler
> messages. Above one level you get a note, above the next level a warning
> and above yet another level you get an error. Then it's up to the users
> to decide what a given level means.

I'm sure that someone would find the additional control that your suggestion
gives useful, but it really sounds overly complicated to me. Deprecation needs
to work smoothly, but it's also a feature that shouldnt' be needed very often,
so it's not something that should be particularly complicated. And Walter
doesn't seem to like the idea of complicating it more than it currently is _at
all_ beyond adding the ability to give a custom message to deprecated. So, if
any changes beyond that are going to be made, it looks like they're _really_
going to need to pull their weight and have a very solid argument for their
inclusion.

- Jonathan M Davis