how to build up the library..

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 13:08:30 PDT 2011

Steve Teale Wrote:

> Andrei,
>
> Are there guidelines for the Phobos process?
>
> I have put a fair amount of work, two years ago and recently, into a piece for
> accessing MySQL via D. I'm looking at this as a bottom-up investigation into what
> might be a more generalized interface for database access.
>
> I've got to the point where I can support a good range of database operations, and
> present result sets as arrays of D structs, which presumably implies Ranges.
> There's also lower level stuff to do more complex operations. So I'm wondering if
> I should take the first process steps. I'm retired, so I do have time to spend on it.
>
> The MySQL C api is not what you could call orthogonal - in crystallography terms
> it is probably Triclinic, so it may not have been the best place to start. There's
> another guy I've had some correspondence with who is working on Postgres. He's
> interested in the same idea.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Steve

My suggestion, work with those you can find to help you. And keep these points in mind.

* There is interest in having a standard Database interface.
* It does not have to support ever obscure option of every database
* The Database specific "glue layer" does not need to be part of Phobos, though the popular ones would be good.
* The glue layer should expose the more intricate options and hopefully work with the generic interface.
* You will have to keep pushing for it. If you have a good solid API that you think is ready for inclusion in Phobos you will get more attention and a more critical review.
* The generic interface will be the main interest, and I think many envision it looking like C#'s LINQ over Java's prepare and execute. (C# has this too, I couldn't figure out how to use LINQ as it seemed to require more setup, I think D can do better)