Garbage collection book

Martin Nowak dawg at dawgfoto.de
Thu Oct 6 16:48:15 PDT 2011

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 00:44:10 +0200, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 10/6/2011 3:28 PM, Martin Nowak wrote:
>> More realistically, are there any rough ideas how to support moving
>> collectors?
>
> The idea I used long ago was to move objects for which the only
> references to them are unambiguous, which means those unambiguous refs
> can be updated to point to the new location.
>
> Ambiguous refs (i.e. might or might not be an actual pointer) had the
> effect of "pinning" the object so it couldn't be moved.
>
> Doing a moving collector requires type info emitted by the compiler that
> gives the offsets of the pointers embedded in every allocated type.

Which isn't wanted because of the binary size, right?
As this is also a requirement for precise scanning and runtime type
information
couldn't a heavily compressed format be found for it.
Something not so weird as DWARF but using a mixture of source encoding
and tables to lower redundancy.