Color your terminal's output

Jens Mueller jens.k.mueller at gmx.de
Fri Oct 7 05:51:19 PDT 2011

Trass3r wrote:
> >You could use ANSI codes on posix to avoid a dependency on curses:
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI_escape_code#Colors
> >But I think using curses is ok. ncurses is MIT licensed and can be
> >used as a dynamic library, so I don't think there are license problems.
> >
> >However, I'd recommend to load ncurses dynamically with dlopen/dlsym
> >and fallback to simple text output if the ncurses library cannot be
> >loaded.
>
> +1
> There shouldn't be a hard dependency on curses.

I had the impression that even though there is this standard how do I
know that I have a standard-compliant terminal. Can I just assume this?
I started using curses because I had the impression there may be
non-standard terminals. But this seems to be minor issue. I will change
this if people are happy with Windows and ISO/IEC 6429 compliant
terminals only.
Thanks.

Jens