[OT] TortoiseGit and Hg

foobar foo at bar.com
Sat Oct 8 08:42:51 PDT 2011

Nick Sabalausky Wrote:

> "foobar" <foo at bar.com> wrote in message
> news:j6p1lj$272s$1 at digitalmars.com...
> > Nick Sabalausky Wrote:
> >
> >> I've been getting more familiar with both git and hg, and I'm coming to
> >> the
> >> conclusion that I like TortoiseGit far more than TortoiseHg, but when I
> >> have
> >> to use them at the cmd line (which I hate to have to do), I can't stand
> >> Git's cmd line interface, but Hg seems to be pretty nice (and I like Hg's
> >> revision/changeset/whatever identier system far better). I know it's
> >> (theoretically) possible to use TortoiseHg with Git repos via hg-git
> >> (which
> >> only barely works at all, in my experience), but that's opposite of what
> >> I've realized I want. Anyone know if there's any way to go the other way
> >> around? Use TortoiseGit to work with Hg repos?
> >>
> >> Meh, frankly, I'm real unhappy with DVCSes. I'm completely sold on them,
> >> of
> >> course, a definite improvement over SVN. But before I learned about
> >> DVCSes I
> >> was very happy with SVN; not so happy with the DVCS landscape now that
> >> I'm
> >> here :/
> >>

> > Man, You don't make any sense.
> > It's true that GIT's cmd is more complicated than SVN but that's
> > unavoidable due to the nature of DVCS.
> > While I agree that it could be improved still and that the command names
> > are sometimes confusing, I also have to point out that Git's cmd is very
> > flexible due to aliases. In fact I use most of the time my own git
> > aliases.
> >

> Note that the original post was *not* about "Which is better, Git or Hg?"
>
> I merely inquired about using TortoiseGit to access Hg. And as background
> explanation I stated my own preferences (ie, to answer the implicit "Why the
> hell am I even asking?").
>
> I didn't try to push one over another, I didn't try to say anything was
> better than anything else, I merely said that *I* *liked* one vs another. So
> can we not turn this into damn DVCS war?
>

> > Regarding Git's identifiers - SHA1 makes perfect sense once you
> > internalize that a global versioning system is not possible in a
> > distributed system.
>
> Umm...I never said anything about needing the sequential version numbers to
> be global...I just said that I happen to like Hg's system better. (Bzr has
> one that I like, too.)
>

> >Hence the problem lies with the fact that you've got accustomed to SVN's
> >revision system which I'd argue is an unfit design.
>
> Honestly, I'm getting really fucking tired of Git people (not that Hg people
> don't have a similar thing) compulsively accusing anyone who doesn't fall
> head over heels in love with the obviously superior-to-all Git of looking at
> it through SVN-tinted glasses and being wrong by default.
>
> Is it Linus who's to blame for the Git community's asinine hostility towards
> [...]

Ok, to clarify, I did not compare Git vs. Hg. In fact I agree that HG provides a better cmd out of the box. Git mitigates this by being very configurable. I responed mainly to your usual rent about new(er) technology that you don't like.

Frankly, I just got fed up with yet another rant by that old guy down the block that just complains about everything and keeps telling us how "back in the days" it was much better.
How SVN made him happy but he doesn't like those annoying DVCSes that complicate his life.
You sound exactly like Clint in "Gran Torino".

With that attitude you shouldn't be dealing with technology,  you should retire and leave us alone with those new tools that you don't want to learn that we invent for no good reason.

Note: I have nothing against older people, just this annoying attitude that *some* people adopt when they get older.