Sorting algorithm

Xinok xinok at live.com
Sat Oct 8 10:30:43 PDT 2011

> Nice writeup, but I found it quite difficult to get into. What would
> help is anchoring it with already known stuff (if it's not, the reader
> must assume it's unrelated, which makes things difficult). So it would
> be great if you compared and contrasted range swap with the in-place
> merge algorithm (e.g. http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/inplace_merge.html),
> STL's stable sort (http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/stable_sort.html) which
> is O(N log(N) log(N)), and possibly with std.algorithm.bringToFront.
>
> Simply presenting a stylized implementation of swap range would be helpful.

I didn't mean for this text to be anything official. I just felt it was
important to provide an explanation of my algorithm so others could
better understand my algorithm and it's implications. That's all.
There's also the issue of, "what if I'm not the first?" I couldn't find
anything similar to the "range swap", but that doesn't mean it didn't
already exist.

Writing papers isn't my forte, I'm a self taught programmer. So if my
algorithm ever gains popularity, I'll let the experts deal with it.

> Also there are a few oddities in the text:
>
> * "- Constant additional memory (one memory allocation per thread)" ->
> the parenthesis does not sustain the point. There could be one memory
> allocation but it might allocate a non-constant amount.

I thought it was important to clarify that. My algorithm is easy to
parallelize, but it does require allocating a unique block of memory for
each thread. It is relatively constant as well, as it would make sense
that the number of running threads matches the number of cores in the
hardware. The only reason to allocate a non-constant amount is if you
include the optimization I mentioned, to allocate O(n/1024) space.

> * All discussion about tail call optimization is unneeded. Tail calls
> can be converted trivially to loops, so don't mention anything. Feel
> free to convert to loops if needed.

I think it's an issue worth addressing though. Some programmers might
assume that, because it's a variant of merge sort, stack overflows won't
be an issue. When I originally implemented my algorithm, I didn't use
tail calls and I had problems with stack overflows on partially sorted
data. So it is an issue.