Formal Review of std.regex (FReD)

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 08:29:57 PDT 2011

On 09.10.2011 19:09, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2011-10-09 17:01, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:

>>> I don't think the documentation should refer to RegEx if it's not
>>> defined in the docs.
>>>
>> Yes, I think I see the typo now, thanks.
>
> The second parameter type of the match function (and a couple of other
> functions) is RegEx, is that possible to fix as well?

No, that's what I tried to point out but failed obviously.
The thing is that it is a templated parameter and due to constraint it
could be either StaticRegex!Char or Regex!Char. They represent pattern
compiled as machine code or bytecode respectively for character width of
Char. All of the 6 versions of compiled patterns in the end do not have
a common type nor one is technically possible (w/o some quite bad
performance trade offs).

--
Dmitry Olshansky