[std.database]

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Oct 9 15:31:01 PDT 2011

On 10/9/2011 5:28 AM, Piotr Szturmaj wrote:
> 1. I think that we should not design this API using the least common denominator
> approach. This is to not limit some databases. For example PostgreSQL has many
> great features not available in MySQL. That's why I started with postgres in my
> ddb project. I think DB API should be designed to support the most featureful
> databases and those that have less features may be easily adapted to that API.

Haven't common denominator designs been more or less failures in at least one
category - gui libraries?

Some driver models have succeeded only because a powerful entity forced the
issue - like for device drivers for an OS.

I suspect that trying to design a common api to popular databases is an
expensive and quixotic quest. If it weren't, wouldn't it have happened already?