D on GDC announced on reddit

Simen Kjaeraas simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 13:35:50 PDT 2011

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 17:11:45 +0200, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:

> "Trass3r" <un at known.com> wrote in message
> news:op.v2ze74ma3ncmek at enigma...
>>> Now D is also quite cool, I would just like for the language compilers
>>> to be a bit more stable.
>>
>> They have been vastly improving, really.
>>
>>> Currently I do have more sucess proposing C++11 based solutions as Go
>>> or
>>> D based ones, on the type of corporate environment I work in.
>>
>> That's not D's or Go's fault. Most guys especially in bigger
>> corporations
>> are plain ignorant and wear blinders.
>> Strangely that even applies to universities.
>
> Not real surprising. Universities can be *enormously* ignorant and
> conceited. (Community colleges too...my god, some of the flaming egos and
> politics around there are mind-boggling, especially considering it's
> *just*
> a CC...)
>
>> Hell, they didn't even know  about clang even though they were
>> progressive
>> enough to use C++0x.
>
> I once had a university professor who openly admitted C was the only
> language he knew - and yet he didn't even understand how C's
> null-terminated
> strings work. So he didn't really even know that one language.

I helped a friend with some assignments from a professor who wrote
absolutely unreadable code, and who taught students to use int[101]
to allocate 100 ints, because he couldn't grasp indexing from 0 to
99.

I also really liked the assignment where we were told of a mythical
processor that would multiply 2 NxN matrices in O(N^4) time.

--
   Simen