D on GDC announced on reddit

Andrew Wiley wiley.andrew.j at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 14:19:20 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Bane <branimir.milosavljevic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Simen Kjaeraas Wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 17:11:45 +0200, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
>>
>> > "Trass3r" <un at known.com> wrote in message
>> > news:op.v2ze74ma3ncmek at enigma...

>> > Not real surprising. Universities can be *enormously* ignorant and
>> > conceited. (Community colleges too...my god, some of the flaming egos and
>> > politics around there are mind-boggling, especially considering it's
>> > *just*
>> > a CC...)

>> > I once had a university professor who openly admitted C was the only
>> > language he knew - and yet he didn't even understand how C's
>> > null-terminated
>> > strings work. So he didn't really even know that one language.
>>
>> I helped a friend with some assignments from a professor who wrote
>> absolutely unreadable code, and who taught students to use int[101]
>> to allocate 100 ints, because he couldn't grasp indexing from 0 to
>> 99.
>>
>> I also really liked the assignment where we were told of a mythical
>> processor that would multiply 2 NxN matrices in O(N^4) time.
>>
>> --
>>    Simen
>
> Those who know, work with it. Those who don't know, teach it.

I'm at a research university, and I haven't really had this problem at
all. I've had a professor teach us his commandments of multithreaded
programming who admitted he used to be a bit of a hypocrite according
to his own rules, but that's about it.
I even have one professor who just came back from a one year
sabbatical in which he worked at a startup.