std.database design suggestion

bls bizprac at orange.fr
Tue Oct 11 01:40:32 PDT 2011

Am 11.10.2011 05:14, schrieb Johann MacDonagh:
> Perhaps my design pattern knowledge is a bit shaky (it is), but isn't
> the point of a factory to give it hints about what you want to create,
> and it decides how to do it? Something like:
>
> Database d = Factory.gimmeAConnection("MySql", "server", "username",
> "pwd");

I guess you describe the "Factory method" pattern.
def :
Define an interface for creating an object, but let subclasses decide
which class to instantiate. Factory Method lets a class defer
instantiation to subclasses.

My snippet is based on the "Abstract Factory" pattern. Also called
"Factory design" pattern or simply "Factory" pattern . Indeed a bit
confusing.
def :
Provide an interface for creating families of related or dependent
objects without specifying their concrete classes.

see also > http://www.dofactory.com/Patterns/Patterns.aspx