religious programming

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Tue Oct 11 03:38:02 PDT 2011

Am 11.10.2011, 11:57 Uhr, schrieb Gor Gyolchanyan
<gor.f.gyolchanyan at gmail.com>:

> I don't know how to cure the people's minds from this religious
> plague, that poisons the software development industry.
>
> Can anyone help me out in this quest of enlightening people?

So you want to convert the barbarians? Then you must accept, that you
yourself are a religious person about multi-paradigm programming. Yes the
devil lies within everyone of us. I have been writing code in Java and it
is OOP exclusively. The point is, that companies want a language that does
things one way. It is easy to share code this way and to train programmers
in that language. There is no "oh what is that construct doing?" in Java
because the language is primitive and pretty verbose. It is also easier
for me to only have a few concepts in my head when I write code. Maybe it
is also the way I'm wired. Everything is an object the has to do X and
works together with Y and Z is a concept that I can easily apply to almost
everything.

If these C++ programmers you talk about like the restrictive use of
language features, then you should respect that. They may have had a hard
in the past with people writing code like Picasso. I mean, good code that
uses features that were difficult for others to understand at first. If
you don't understand other people's code you are likely to introduce bugs.
As long as they aren't open to what really makes them stick to their style
rules and language it is hard to say what would make them consider D.
After all the pitfalls in D will be more confusing to them coming from C++
than any C++ code could ever be.

Maybe they like the integrated unit tests. I've heard people are more
likely to actually write them if they are integrated like that. Or at some
point they say "if I could just define what the object state must be after
this public method exits I wouldn't have this bug now!" and contracts come
into play. Anyway, don't put C++ down unless they are open to speak about
what they wish for and are willing to accept new ideas.