[std.database]

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 04:42:30 PDT 2011

Am 09.10.2011 23:53, schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu:
> On 10/09/11 13:22, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 10/9/11 11:40 AM, Steve Teale wrote:
>>> Further generic question. (Yes, I am listening to the answers too)
>>>
>>> If some underlying databases don't support the features that our chosen
>>> interface requires, do we attempt to synthesize them - presumably at
>>> cost
>>> to performance, or do we just throw a compile-time exception that
>>> basically tells the user to use a lower interface and code it themself?
>>
>> No.
>>
>> Andrei
>
> Sorry, that was awfully unclear. I meant to say the driver shouldn't do
> little miracles in adapting support from one engine to the next. It's a
> losing race.
>
> It should be fine if certain queries or API calls fail either statically
> or dynamically.
>

> Andrei

What about things like prepared statements?
It's really convenient to have - even if the DB does not support it and
thus no performance may be expected, it could still be used to prevent
SQL-injections (if the userspace-emulation is implemented properly).

I don't know of any SQL-DB that does not support prepared statements,
but maybe they exist.
If not there may be similar widely used and very convenient features not
supported by a few DBs that could be considered to be emulated.

I do agree however that this shouldn't be done for every feature, but
just for very few that are worth it.

Cheers,
- Daniel