Just starting out

Trass3r un at known.com
Thu Oct 13 06:11:21 PDT 2011

> 1) Which to use: Phobos, Tango, or Tangobos? It makes sense for us to
> use D2 so this seems to preclude Tango for now. Correct?

D1 is quite restricting. No struct ctors/dtors, compile-time introspection
or TLS, etc.
I think using D2 is fine and it's making good progress.

> Are there plans to merge or standardize on one of these? Phobos and Tango
> seem to be incompatible with each other at this point.

Phobos is the standard library for D2.

> 2) Which compiler? DMD, GDC or something else?  We use Ubuntu 10.04, 64
> bit as our development platform. I'm assuming the gc is in all the D
> compilers.

DMD is the easiest compiler to use cause its frontend is always up-to-date
and a precompiled package is available.
If you need real performance or platforms other than x86 you have to use
GDC or LDC though.

They produce really good code comparable to C++ but you have to compile
them yourself (which has been painless, at least for me).
btw, currently LDC is the only way to get LTO (though you still have to do
it manually with the llvm tools).

> 3) DDT (eclipse plugin) seems relatively green. Any other suggestions
> for an IDE. Not a big deal for us, but it's nice to have source
> formatting. The DDT folks indicated that that feature is a long way off
> for them.

Descent was really good but unfortunately it's abandoned.
DDT has some nice features but lacks others.