RIP Dennis Ritchie

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Thu Oct 13 13:04:19 PDT 2011

I didn't know who he was. I wasn't even born when the interesting works of
his life were released.

He and Ken Thompson developed the first Unix and wrote the programmer's
manual for it as well as the book "The C Programming Language" (now I know
where Andrei got the name for his book: title[4]++;). Ritchie, Thompson
and Brian W. Kernighan were the inventors of C.

Considering all that forked from there, their work is still getting a lot
of attention. C is still a de facto standard for embedded systems or as a
base syntax for other languages. Linux would not be what it is today if
Linus had no Unix to give him the inspiration for the kernel.

Thanks for sharing, Steven.