[std.database] ORM

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Fri Oct 14 03:17:51 PDT 2011

Am 14.10.2011, 09:27 Uhr, schrieb Steve Teale
<steve.teale at britseyeview.com>:

>> 2) would be a thin wrapper around the C API. I think that runs against
>> Phobos' philosophy especially with eventually four layers of
>> abstraction. I'm just saying. Wouldn't mind personally.
>
> Marco,
>
> Not if it's anything like the piece I'm working on, which if I judge by
> the effort I've put into it, is not thin. Perhaps I'm at the wrong level.
>
> I hope to put an infant version on github before the weekend is out, then
> you can judge.
>
> Steve

I wanted to say "don't put a lot of work into D wrappers of C APIs unless
you know it has a good chance of getting accepted". I didn't realize you
already have something more elaborate and I certainly don't want to judge
over what piece of good work gets included. There is just probably one
layer too much in the mix to make them all obviously distinctive. There
seem to be a lot of database bindings from different people and now is the
time that they get a chance to become official standard in Phobos. And
with so many different approaches and opinions we might need a few votes
at some point.
For example I like the layer that hides away the dirty bits (LIMIT vs.
TOP, mass INSERTs vs. single row INSERTS, SQL keywords). But since I don't
currently use any databases I have no strong opinion.