Remove macro keyword?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Oct 14 12:03:24 PDT 2011

On Friday, October 14, 2011 20:49:13 Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> On 23-08-2011 15:41, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Would it not be a good idea to remove the macro keyword? It doesn't seem
> > like there's anything happening with the AST macros idea anyway, and
> > it's an identifier that I actually find myself wanting to use
> > occasionally...
> >
> > Regards,
> > Alex
>
> Any input on this? Especially from people hacking on DMD?
>
> Reserving a common word like this for no purpose is not very reasonable
> IMO...

At this point, I think that it is the way that it is, and it's going to stay
that way - if nothing else because there's every possibility that a new
feature will be added at some point in the future which uses the macro
keyword. If we do add such a feature, it probably won't be until D3, but if we
have the macro keyword in D2, then there's a greater chance of being able to
add such a feature in a backwards compatible manner into D2.

Removing the keyword now is just going to cause problems later if we ever want
it as a keyword again.

- Jonathan M Davis