Catching a hot potato

Gor Gyolchanyan gor.f.gyolchanyan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 03:29:04 PDT 2011

The other day i was re-reading the std.exception docs and stumbled
upon "It's ill-advised to catch anything, that is not Exception or
derived from it".
Can you show me examples when catching a Throwable is a good idea?
Also, i had some thoughts about catching AcessViolation exception in a
modular application to avoid my app crashing when a module crashes,
but i was told, that segfaults indicate a messed up memory and nothing
is guaranteed to work after a segfault.
My question is, is it true, that segfault means THE END, and if so,
what's the point in allowing to catch it?
Also, how do i prevent DLLs from crashing my process like that?