Catching a hot potato

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Sat Oct 15 16:29:15 PDT 2011

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 19:29:32 +0300, Gor Gyolchanyan
<gor.f.gyolchanyan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks! I never thought, you could give a DLL another address space.
> I don't quite understand how it works yet, but i'll look into it.

Running a DLL in a separate address space (if possible at all, I think the
concept of DLLs contradicts this idea) would not be much different than
running the DLL as a separate process. Communication could then occur
through pipes, sockets, or shared memory + signals/events/mutexes.

You may have noticed that some web browsers (Chrome, and now Firefox) run
3rd-party plugins in separate processes, for this purpose (stability) plus
security (plugins are sandboxed).

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net