Catching a hot potato

Norbert Nemec Norbert at Nemec-online.de
Sun Oct 16 09:49:22 PDT 2011

In fact, I have been wondering about the very same issue. Indeed, it
seems to be possible to catch SIGSEGV in userspace, there even is a
library for this

	http://libsigsegv.sourceforge.net/

I have never used it myself, but it would certainly be interesting to
hear about any experience you might make.

It is often argued that after a segfault the memory may be corrupt any
you can't trust anything. True - after a fatal error, it is advisable to
quit the program as soon as possible. However, in most cases, it should
be possible to display a meaningful message, blame the most likely
villain or maybe even try an emergency save.