The CAPI Manifesto

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Sun Oct 16 20:10:37 PDT 2011

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 05:02:52 +0300, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> So I propose creating, on github.com/D-Programming-Language, a new
> repository called CAPI.

Questions:

1) Will these be distributed with DMD? The bar to generate D import
modules from C headers isn't much higher than having to find and download
headers from the Internet.

2) This isn't too different to already existing projects. The bindings
project on dsource ( http://dsource.org/projects/bindings ) already has
bindings for various libraries. I can't say much about the project
guidelines, though.

3) You suggest to place each library in its own directory, with C and D
headers as subdirectories. This means that the user will still need to
edit the import search path when using a new library. Is it realistic to
put all D files in the same directory? (Perhaps do this only for libraries
for which we don't expect name collisions?)

4) "Every effort will be made to avoid needing any D specific binary
files." - What about import libraries?

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net