[std.database]

Steve Teale steve.teale at britseyeview.com
Mon Oct 17 07:25:13 PDT 2011

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 09:42:13 -0400, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 02:13:05 -0400, Steve Teale
> <steve.teale at britseyeview.com> wrote:
>
>> There's a discussion going on about Windows header files that has
>> discussed whether header files can be copyright.
>>
>> Header files may be an issue with the database implementations. For
>> example my mysql.d is a straight translation of mysql.h (and a couple
>> of others). Does that mean it is tainted by GPL and I can't make it
>> Boost?
>
> A direct translation is a derivative work.  So yes, it must be GPL.
>
> However, there must be ways around this.  I believe headers have certain
> rules in most licenses.
>
> You will definitely need some sort of non-translated header though.  I'm
> not a license expert, so I don't know to what lengths you need to go to
> re-license the header.
>
> However, what about mysql itself?  If the header is GPL, so is the
> library, no?  I'm assuming you are not reimplementing the mysql client
> lib?  Linking against a GPL library is definitely not going to be
> acceptable in a phobos module.
>
> -Steve

Hmm, I just did a quick check, and the MySQL client/server protocol is
GPL also, so there's nowhere to go.

How do Python and PHP communicate with MySQL. Is it just that they have
the clout to get a dispensation from MySQL AB?

Does this stuff have to go in some repository like the proposed Deimos (a
figure representing dread in Greek Mythology) where you will presumably
often encounter dread licensing gotchas?

Steve