[std.database]

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Oct 17 10:55:56 PDT 2011

On Monday, October 17, 2011 09:38 Steve Teale wrote:
> > PostgreSQL's protocol is stable since 2003, but MySQL's is not very
> > friendly indeed. Phobos might follow opportunistic path and support
> > direct access with recent MySQL versions and C wrapper for older ones.
>
> But it looks like the C wrapper approach for MySQL won't fly for Phobos
> because of the GPL taint. MySQL support might have to be consigned to the
> Deimos 'derived works' directory. Either that or Phobos only supports
> versions > 5.xx.

However, if we go with an appropriately pluggable approach with the DB
engines, then it should be perfectly possible to have a 3rd party library
which provides a DB engine for mysql which you can then use with Phobos if
your program is GPL or GPL-compatible. So, no it won't be in Phobos if we have
to use the C headers, but that doesn't necssarily mean that it couldn't be
used with Phobos' DB solution.

- Jonathan M Davis